Journalism & Media Studies
The Diploma aims to provide students with:
- An understanding of the role of the different media in modern society
- A thorough grounding in the role of the journalist
- Knowledge of specific media roles and skills
- The skills to research, write and present effective copy
- Skills in presenting publications for the market place
- An awareness of the legal environment in which the media operate.
The Advanced Diploma provides prospective students of the Journalism and Media Industries with a body of relevant and current knowledge which will:
- Increase and broaden their employment opportunities within the industries
- Provide them with an extensive theoretical and practical knowledge base on which to build their careers and enable them to progress to higher levels of the media and journalism industries
- Increase and broaden their understanding of contemporary multi platform journalism skills, and their awareness of the emerging digital media landscape and the new opportunities which are becoming available
- The ICM Diploma in Journalism and the ICM Diploma in Journalism & Media Studies is also suitable for working journalists, who wish to broaden their skills and knowledge base, and who require appropriate qualifications for career advancement or promotion purposes.
Journalism & Media Studies – Diploma
The ICM Diploma in Journalism & Media Studies is awarded on completion of all above subjects.
Journalism & Media Studies – Advanced Diploma
Learners must successfully complete all five subjects in the above Diploma in Journalism & Media Studies, or all eight subjects in the Diploma in Journalism before entering for an examination on the Advanced Diploma level.
Additional notes on the Advanced Diploma:
The Advanced Diploma builds on the professional and practical knowledge gained through the individual units within the Diploma in Journalism & Media Studies and Diploma in Journalism, providing detailed understanding of key areas in modern journalism and media studies. It is designed for those moving into:
- Senior production
- Executive or management roles
- Specialist sectors of the journalism
- Media studies professions